Monday, February 9, 2009

Kyle's IEP revisted

I just pulled out Kyle's IEP from March 2008 and found it interesting. He is suppose to get support in the following areas:


  • Checking for understanding of directions

  • Clarified vocabulary to check for understanding

  • Close proximty to the teacher (she moved him back a few weeks ago, he was sitting close to her desk but moved him last semester because he and another boy was acting up. She actually should of moved the other boy)

  • Reminders to stay on task

  • Reduced length for oral instructions

  • Positive reinforcement

  • Supervision during transitions (he doesn't need that actually)

All of these things listed above should be implemented and obviously there are not or the teacher just forgot. In her defense, I haven't pulled out this IEP and reminded myself. You bet your ass I am taking this with me tomorrow for my meeting with her. These are things she is SUPPOSE to do, it is part of her job. Not to complain to me that he is not "staying on task" and I am not sure the positive reinforcement isn't happening either. I will get to the bottom of the "moving the dot" thing. Last week, I asked him....."what does it mean when you move your dot?" He said that it was a bad thing. I need to know exactly how she handles this.


Our meeting is tomorrow at 5pm so I hoping it goes better than I expect. Will update as soon as I can.




3 comments:

Ali said...

This is what aggravates me the most about the whole system. As a parent, if you are not constantly being the squeaky wheel, things fall through the cracks.

As far as the "moving the dot", we have that kind of system in place at our school, except we use the red light system. Green - your good, yellow - been warned, red - punishment. That can be anything depending on how many times the child has been put on red, such as something simple as the child has to write their name in a book and if they get their name so many times in the book, then a letter goes home to mom and dad, or mom and dad get a phone call, or they have to go the principal's office. Of course, not one type of punishment fits all children - SURPRISE, SURPRISE!! Your child may need queues before their behavior escalates to a point where their "dot needs to be moved" and only if those queues don't work after he has been taught those queues does the dot get moved. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

MamaBear said...

Ok, I was a bit tough on the teacher. I have liked her from the beginning and she has been a perfect fit for Kyle. She does, indeed, care about him and what is best for him.

The zinger.......she NEVER got a copy of his IEP. She is so open to anything I can give her in regards to receptive language.

She is really hoping that Kyle gets a good teacher for 1st grade that is patient. She said there are some that are not and she is going to express her concern about that. I will write more later but we did talk about the email and she said it didn't come across the way she intended, it is really hard to hear someone's "voice" in an email.

Again, I was a bit hard on her.

Yes, ya'll are right, it is the system. They are putting too much pressure on kindergarteners. The teacher even admitted that.

I will try and write more later but wanted to let you know that I am back from my meeting. I think the last 30 minutes of our conference was all personal talk. LOL

OneMom said...

Good to hear your report. Will check back later for more details.